POCINO RECYCLES APPROXIMATELY 266,000 POUNDS OF CARDBOARD EVERY YEAR.
THIS SAVES ABOUT 2,200 TREES, WHICH IS EQUIVALENT TO PULLING 30,000 POUNDS OF CARBON DIOXIDE OUT OF THE AIR.
As a manufacturer, Pocino Foods Company understands the importance of producing products in a sustainable manner. One that is environmentally responsible to our suppliers, vendors, employees, customers and neighbors.
We have analyzed our areas of operation and identified major areas for which efficient, conscientious business practices can create profound environmental impact.
• During the recent remodeling of our production areas a new clarifier was installed which exceeds the requirements set forth by the Regional Water Quality Control Board.
• Pocino Foods continues to aggressively develop items that use little or no nitrates or nitrites which may be a source of contamination in ground water.
• Pocino Foods Company employs a consultant group to continuously identify ways to reduce water usage, reduce wastewater generation and improve the quality of wastewater discharge.
• A program to regularly calibrate boilers has been implemented in order to minimize emissions of greenhouse gases.
• An inventory management system ensures that transport truckloads are fully coming in and out whenever possible. Fewer truck trips save fossil fuels and reduce carbon emissions.
• Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) have been installed in three primary refrigeration systems to regulate the motor frequency based on increases or decreases of necessary input. The VFDs regulate the output based on percentages to ensure that the motor is not running at full capacity if not required.
• Pocino Foods has installed new and more energy efficient ovens and controls as part of the recent plant expansion.